My Mother's Day Story #NationalSuperMomsDay

I was pregnant with my daughter (my bunso) when I started working as a freelance writer. I was 21 years old back then. I wanted to help my husband in saving money for my labor and hospital expenses. My husband doesn't earn much as a painter for a construction company thus I wanted to help him badly. I never told my client that I was pregnant because I was afraid that she would reject me once she discovered. Nine months later, she was so surprised when I revealed that I gave birth. I wasn't able to finish my remaining tasks and haven't answered her emails for a week. Still she decided to keep me. I continued working a month later. I knew I needed to earn extra cash for my kids' growing needs. I have my two year old son and my baby who constantly needs diaper, vitamins, and milk. It was very challenging and stressful. I work and take care of my kids at the same time. I take care of them in the day, catch some work when they were taking a nap or playing, and working some more when everybody else in the house was sound asleep. A couple of months later, I was in the hospital because of dehydration, lack of sleep and stress. When I got out from the hosp, I didn't quit work - I continued working at home. I wanted to be a full-time mom. I didn't want to miss the important milestones in their lives, thus no matter how hard it was I continued working at home. I saw seasons changed from where I sat and write through my laptop, and I realized it has been five long years since I started writing. But a sudden flash of idea came through me... What if I go back to school to earn my bachelor's degree? My kids were grown up now. My son was already 6 years old and my bunso was 3. I can take the night classes at the community college! I can still work in the day and go to school in the afternoon. Classes starts from 4pm and ends at 8pm. I knew it would be more difficult than ever. This time, I am not only a mother of two, a freelance writer but also a college student. Can I handle it?

I admit, the past four years I spent in college wasn't easy. Everyday I felt like I was riding a roller coaster. I work and take care of my kids at the same time, do household chores and go to school in the evening. Pumapasok akong puyat at pagod. When I get home, I finish my chores and study my lessons. I studied hard thus became a Dean's lister which gave me 50% off my tuition fee. I continued working. I wrote articles in the morning after my chores were done and continued working in the evening after I finished my assignments. I don't get that much sleep or rest but thank God, I rarely got sick. There are times that I don't get much work thus I had to sell my precious book collections. I get that sinking feeling when I had to sell my favorite ones. Of course, there were problems along the way which made me cry. Sometimes I don't earn much from my writing job because I had to focus on school work. And there were times that I didn't get higher grades in exams because I had to earn extra cash to make ends meet. Many times, at night, I look outside the window and try to imagine what's out there for me. What is God's plan for me? I tell myself, one day, I will earn my bachelor's degree despite the difficulties. Just last year, I had to let go of my writing job from my long-time client because I have to focus on my internship program. I had to attend my duties as a student teacher from 7am to 5pm for the entire semester. Six long months. I focused on writing on my blog instead and taking care of my kids who were now ages 9 and 7 years old.

It took me 5 long years to get back on track, to go back to school and another four years to earn my diploma, my bachelor's degree. Yes, I earned it! I graduated recently, April 8, 2017. It took a lot of hardwork and patience. I remember praying to God that I will work hard to achieve my goals and dreams for my entire family, especially for my kids. Looking back, I thought I was never going to make it. Yet, here I am now! I finally earned it through God's help. God has granted one of my goals thus I am so grateful. This is my inspiring story and for every mommy who can achieve their bachelor's degree despite having more difficulties, I think they too would agree.

April 8, 2017. Graduation day with my kids, Nat and Helen.


November 2016 - Local demonstration teaching.
Earned 99% rating from my Cooperating Teacher and 99% students' mastery level.

February 2017 - General demonstration teaching.

General demo. Earned 94.6% total rating and 100% students' mastery level.

Graduation day! Photo with my baby bunso.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SM Moments Throughout The Years #FamFirstAtSM

Extended Playtime With OFF! for Kids & OFF! Overtime

Make Gift Giving Hassle-Free with GC Regalo!